SIGIA-L Mail Archives: Re: [Sigia-l] From multi-touch to multi-face?

Re: [Sigia-l] From multi-touch to multi-face?

From: Ziya Oz (listera_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 23:36:10 EST

Will Parker:

> Apple could beat anyone else's camera designs, given a five-year
> startup cycle -- but would it be worth it?

Well, they did the iPhone in about two years *by themselves.* For cameras, I
suggested partnering with a major camera manufacturer to begin with. So with
such help I think *less than* a couple of years sounds reasonable to me.
Why? Because they have already done the slimmed-down OS X for consumer
electronic devices. (That's one of the reasons why the
iPhone-with-a-sophisticated-OS is a groundbreaker.) The special bits would
be the digital imaging layer on top of that OS.

As I think you suggest, the digital camera market is certainly smaller than
the cellphone/PDA market, but still it's a multi-billion dollar global
industry, with hw/sw chaos not unlike the cellphone/PDA industry.

A device that integrates video and stills that can then extend its
functionality into the collaboration, syncing, communication space would
indeed be another eye-opener.

I think I could make a case for it, but Steve won't let me see the books.
:-) Besides, with the iPhone and its derivates soon to follow, Apple's got
more than enough challenges on its plates for the next 2-3 years.

Your "would it be worth it?" question is very much on my mind at the moment,
as I just started a new project where the goal is to redesign an already
successful and profitable company to change a static and business-as-usual
segment of the financial industry through superior user-experience. IOW,
create an unambiguously better UX and remodel the company technology and
business operations to deliver that UX. That's a delicious challenge and
it's great to be working with a company that's willing to bet its future on
strategic design.

Ziya
Nullius in Verba

IA Summit 2007: Enriching IA
Rich Information, Rich Interaction, Rich Relationships
March 22-26, 2007, Las Vegas, NV
www.iasummit.org
-----